Monday, October 18, 2010

Voodoo. Who do? You do!

My first foray into making stuffed dolls was I think my second year of college. I had an older friend who was graduating and as a gift I made him two dolls from a favorite show of his.
 We always teased him that the characters were gay for each other, so I glued magnets behind their lips so they could kiss.   Here’s Quatre and Trowa from Gundam Wing.  Before I gave them hair, everyone said they looked like voodoo dolls. Their faces are done with embroidery floss.  The hair was pretty basic.

A year later I played through Kingdom Hearts 2 and became obsessed.  So I slowly made myself four dolls, Sora, Roxas, Axel, and Riku. Oh, and a heartless doll, but there no pictures of it.  I actually attempted to style these dolls' hair with tacky glue and by stitching it on in certain patterns. I'm most proud of Sora's.  Their clothing was all made out of scraps from my fabric box, mostly acquired from outgrown clothes and yard sales.  Sora and Roxas share a little wooden keyblade made out of a dowel, while Riku's was made by gluing pieces of felt together and painting it.  Their eyes are still embroidery floss, though their lips are now done in sharpie.


Later I found a pattern on deviant art by BabyLondonStar for plushies, the head of which I used for my Allerleirauh doll.  Her '1000' fur coat was the most fun part of her to make.  It's made from yarn, felt, and upholstery fabrics.
I've also made a few animals, including a horse and a sightless moose.


2 comments:

  1. Man, I am a big fan of your stuffed animals. They must have taken forever to make, but they look so cute and effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuffed animals were actually both single night projects. The horse was a birthday gift and the moose was a mascot for my group at an English camp I volunteered for. The horse isn't actually balanced very well; tap his but and he'll tip over onto his nose!

    ReplyDelete